Check Out Our $30 1/8th Oz Options!
Influential Cannabis Icons
For as long as cannabis has consumed the minds of prohibitionists, politicians, and lawmakers, there have been influential cannabis icons that have popularized the drug, bringing it into the mainstream.
These icons play a momentous role in cannabis legalization for states nationwide. Their continued support for cannabis use and the cannabis industry is only creating a brighter future for cannabis in the U.S. and those who use it.
Keep reading to learn about some of the most influential cannabis icons.
Herer is known as the “father of marijuana legalization” and “the emperor of hemp” and even has a cannabis strain named after him.
In 1973 he opened his first head shop, called High Country, and began compiling information about the Cannabis plant, including its uses as hemp and as a drug.
After a dozen years of research, in 1985, he published his non-fiction book “The Emperor Wears No Clothes.”
Many mark the release of this book as the beginning of the cannabis legalization movement, and the text is still used today to promote legalization and cannabis law reform. Herer was so confident in the claims made in the book that he included an offer of $100,000 to anyone who could disprove them.
Wanting everyone to have access to the book, Herer published it online for free. However, editions are also available for purchase on Kindle and paperback.
Cheech Marin & Tommy Chong
These two are easily the funniest cannabis campaigners in history. The comedians performed together in the 1970s and 1980s when cannabis was considered taboo among general audiences.
In 1978, they released their first featured film, “Up In Smoke,” which is widely credited as the first stoner comedy film.
The characters they played while performing standup, acting in films, and recording comedy records were major successes with audiences.
The two created hyperbolic versions of the people the audience was already seeing in the growing hippie counterculture. They were trailblazers for the stoner tropes still portrayed in media today.
Both run independent cannabis companies, Tommy Chong’s Hemp and Cheech’s Stash.
“Roll me up and smoke me when I die.”
This iconic opening line of Willie Nelson’s 2012 song “Roll Me Up” is an excellent example of just how big a role cannabis plays in Nelson’s self-identity.
Throughout his career, Nelson has promoted cannabis and its uses. When touring from gig to gig, he was notorious for swapping his stash with fans who offered him some of their Mary Jane. For him, cannabis culture is a way of life, and he lives by the philosophy, “my stash is your stash.”
In 2015, he released a line of cannabis called “Willie’s Reserve,” By 2016, he had stores in Colorado, Washington, Las Vegas, and Oregon. True to his philosophy, Willie’s Reserve® “pays tribute to the tradition of sharing, caring, and toking.”
Beyond his love for cannabis and the community, Nelson is also one of the cannabis revolution’s most passionate and dedicated supporters. While he is undoubtedly a renowned and timeless American country musician, Nelson is also Co-Chair of the National Organizational for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML).
Snoop Dogg has always been very open about his cannabis use. Countless references to cannabis are found throughout his discography, from his earliest work to newer hits.
Allegedly, Snoop was introduced to cannabis by Tupac Shakur at a 1994 party for the movie Poetic Justice. That night he smoked his first blunt. Ever since he has preferred blunts over any other consumption method.
By 2015, the rapper entered the world of cannabis education and business:
- April 2015 – invests in Eaze, the Uber of weed delivery that advertises delivery within ten minutes; delivery is currently available in California and Michigan
- September 2015 – launches the cannabis-focused digital media platform MERRY JANE; the platform features a database for identifying cannabis strains and dispensaries, an original video series, and editorial content on the business and politics of the cannabis industry
- November 2015 – launches his line of cannabis products, Leafs by Snoop (rebranded as LBS in the Canadian cannabis market)
Snoop also partially owns Canopy Growth, the largest global cannabis and CPG organization in the world.
At North, we know we wouldn’t be where we are today without the cannabis cultural icons that have paved the way for cannabis legalization and industry.
Even though we did our best to include some of the most notable cannabis icons in our list, many others have and continue to work to decriminalize and destigmatize cannabis.
There are so many ways that cannabis can benefit individuals. That’s why we sell only premium medical cannabis products at our Pevely and Hillsboro locations.
If you need medicinal cannabis, check out our locations and hours.
Brand Spotlights: Cannabis Inc.
For the fifth installment of our Brand Spotlights series, North is happy to feature Cannabis Inc., which provides cannabis products for Missouri from Missouri. As always, North Dispensaries chooses to work with only the best that Missouri has to offer so they can provide the highest quality medical cannabis products to their clients.
Read on to learn more about Cannabis Inc. and why North is so excited to work with such an amazing brand.
About Cannabis Inc.
Cannabis Inc.’s mission is to create the safest possible medical cannabis products that all patients can enjoy. They believe that nature provides everything we need to survive and that artificial ingredients, additives, and chemicals have the potential to harm our bodies.
To ensure that its products are as pure and safe as possible, Cannabis Inc. creates its full-spectrum solventless-derived medical cannabis products in small batches, making it easier for them to control the quality of everything they produce.
The company’s dedication to creating the perfect cannabis extracts makes them a premier source of concentrates, edibles, cooking ingredients, and more.
Cannabis Inc. Products
This solventless live rosin vape cartridge is truly incredible. The solventless live rosin is placed into Cannabis Inc.’s all-glass cartridge, enhancing each strain’s true flavor. The all-glass cartridge also ensures that the rosin never encounters any metal surfaces, eliminating the concern of heavy metals leaching into your vapes. Enhance your vaping experience with the LiRo Cart.
Cannabis Inc. produces various high-quality concentrates, such as:
- Cold cure live hash rosin – a full-spectrum, cold-cured, solventless extract made from ultra-refinement and mechanical separation technology. Its color and texture will vary based on terpene profiles, genetics, and harvest cycle.
- Live shatter – characterized by a potent and stable shatter consistency. It can be smoked or vaped and melts down like water for an ultra-smooth finish for a clean, top-shelf experience.
- Live rosin jam – provides a long-lasting and delicious experience with a combination of THCa diamonds and terpene sauce.
Have you ever wanted to create your own cannabis-infused dishes? Cannabis Inc. has you covered.
- Ghee (clarified butter) – it allows you to medicate with your favorite recipe. All you have to do is include the intended dose of the full-spectrum, rosin-infused ghee, and you have a medicine personalized to your tastes and needs.
- Coconut oil – you can use this product to replace cooking oil in almost any recipe. From salads to pancakes, know that you can medicate the way you want with this full-spectrum, rosin-infused oil.
Are you tired of looking for the perfect edibles? Well, you’ve come to the right place.
- Brownie – a modern take on this classic that everyone will enjoy, Cannabis Inc. creates an effective and delicious edible that is also gluten-free, nut-free, and vegan.
- Greenola bites – if you’re looking for a well-rounded edible that is delectable and healthy, these greenola bites are the way to go. It contains no refined sugars and is loaded with oats, pepitas, hemp seeds, dried cranberries, and local Missouri honey. Ten pieces contain 5 mg of THC, making this product an excellent introduction to edibles or a quick low dose. It is also gluten-free and nut-free.
Available in 100 mg and 250 mg, this potent tincture is exceptionally effective. It is made with MCT oil, full-spectrum hash rosin, sunflower lecithin, and cinnamon extract. A great way to medicate on the go, use the dropper to place your dose under your tongue, and wait 20 to 30 seconds before swallowing.
Cannabis Inc. Products at North Dispensaries
North Dispensaries is comprised of two Missouri locations. Each location carries its own selection of Cannabis Inc. products.
- Cake Crasher Live Rosin (concentrate) – a sativa rosin from Terrapin’s Cake Crasher strain
- Master Yoda Live Rosin (concentrate) – a hybrid (a mix of sativa and indica strains) rosin
- Cake Crasher Live Rosin Jam (concentrate) – a sativa rosin
- Cookies N Cream (live rosin vape) – a hybrid vape cartridge
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 100 mg of THC in each jar; 1 tsp = 5 mg THC and 1tbsp = 15 mg THC
- Cake Crasher Live Rosin (concentrate) – a sativa rosin
- GG#4 (live rosin vape) – a hybrid vape cartridge
- Mango Cookies (live rosin vape) – a hybrid vape cartridge
- Master Yoda (live rosin vape) – a hybrid vape cartridge
- Master Yoda Live Rosin (concentrate) – a hybrid rosin
- Cake Crasher Live Rosin Jam (concentrate) – a sativa rosin
Visit our Pevely or Hillsboro locations today so you can get a taste of some of what Cannabis Inc. has to offer.
When shopping at North Dispensaries, know that you’re in good hands, as any product we carry we’ve selected with your health and wellness in mind.
Visit our website today to learn more about medical cannabis and the brands that we carry.
Cannabis & Horror Movies
Halloween is just around the corner!
There are many reasons why people love the holiday. Still, for the most part, Halloween attracts those who go nuts for the macabre, gory, terrifying, and mystifying.
One thing that marks the Halloween season is the scores of horror movie marathons that litter all sorts of TV channels and streaming platforms during this time of year.
Now, we know that not everybody is a fan of horror films, and the idea of using cannabis to help enhance the experience of watching one may be the last thing you want to do. But there’s no denying that the horror genre and cannabis use has been linked in some way or another for decades now.
Keep reading to learn more about the interesting relationship between cannabis and horror and what movies you should check out this Halloween.
Now, you may be wondering why people have created a connection between the horror genre and cannabis.
Some suggest that this connection is because horror films and cannabis and those who enjoy them are considered outliers, forbidden fruits of the social norm. Throughout history, both have attracted unique and interesting people from all walks of life that are just looking for a way to process emotions, ideas, and trauma.
While it may seem unconventional to some that someone would turn to a terrifying horror movie or a perception-altering substance, there’s still no denying that the catharsis both provide is real.
The Pros of Mixing Cannabis Use with Horror Movies
We know it’s not for everyone, but those who do like to smoke some flower or eat an edible before getting comfortable for a night of jump scares and more have their reasons.
If you already love horror movies without using cannabis, you’ll probably like it while using cannabis.
Cannabis enhances the experience by heightening your senses, suspending your disbelief, adjusting your focus, and funneling any paranoia through a thrilling lens.
Classics For The Film Aficionado
It’s easy to get caught up in all the new horror films released every year. Don’t forget that those films are inspired by the classics that set the stage for the horror genre to take off.
Watching this Hitchcock classic is the perfect way to start a horror movie marathon. Who hasn’t heard of Norman Bates and his murderess mother? If you have never seen this thriller full of twists and turns, we highly recommend you pop some popcorn (for the munchies) and get ready for a film that will have you checking your back; you know, just in case.
“The Exorcist” (1973)
While some people prefer gory and grisly murders, others prefer a more supernatural approach. “The Exorcist” is a story of a battle between good and evil, as an exorcist is sent to help save a young girl possessed by demonic spirits.
Although a controversial film, audiences marveled at the storytelling and special effects that ultimately made “The Exorcist” one of the film industry’s first ‘blockbusters’ and one of the only horror movies ever to be nominated for Best Picture.
“Night Of the Living Dead” (1968)
Directed by George Romero, this film cemented him in film history as the master of the modern ‘zombie film.’ Unlike the modern interpretation of zombies, these cannibalistic, re-animated dead were once depicted as trance-like undead slaves produced by voodoo rites.
While it was a low-budget, independent debut film, for 96 minutes, audiences experienced groundbreaking, genre-defining work as Romero conveyed his interpretation of a dehumanized society with the film’s explicit violence, rawness, cannibalism, and somber ending.
We could go on forever about what classics you should watch this Halloween. Some honorable mentions include:
- “Dracula” (1931)
- “The Birds” (1963)
- “Nosferatu” (1922)
- “Poltergeist” (1982)
- “Halloween” (1978)
- “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (1974)
Modern Horror Classics
We could include so many movies on this list, so we’ll do our best to fit the best ones in.
“A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984)
A quintessential teen slasher, “A Nightmare on Elm Street” stars Freddy Krueger, one of the most well-known antagonists of all time. A child murderer in life and demonic child murderer in death, Freddy terrorizes the screen by invading the dreams of teens and causing a mind-altering sequence of horrifying encounters.
This film will have your mind turning from start to finish, as even the ending, ever ambiguous, leaves more for your imagination to assume.
“The Shining” (1980)
A mix of paranormal and human horror, this film was Stanley Kubrick’s masterful take on the traditional concept of a haunted house. While its title is that of its source material, Stephen King’s third novel under his name, Kubrick’s creation carries little resemblance to King’s work.
The film follows a father (Jack) and his descent into madness, fueled by both physical and intangible forces, while isolated with his family (his wife Wendy and young son Danny) in a snowed-in resort. The family soon finds themselves affected by a “psychic photograph” that depicts a series of historic murders that occurred on the resort’s property.
The film’s title refers to the psychic abilities of the resort’s head cook (Halloran) and Jack’s son, which add an otherworldly point of view into the world beyond the living.
“Shaun Of the Dead” (2004)
What would be a list of must-see horror movies without acknowledging the horror/comedy genre?
Written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Wright directed this romantic zombie comedy (a “rom-zom-com”) while Pegg played the role of Shaun, a downtrodden London salesman that must deal with his girlfriend, mother, and stepfather all while he and his friend Ed, try to survive a zombie apocalypse.
Inspired by classics like George Romero’s (we mentioned him earlier) “Dead” trilogy, Wright and Pegg’s film initially had commercial success, having grossed $30 million worldwide on a $6.1 million budget. It then went on to receive two nominations at the British Academy Film Awards, with some calling it one of the greatest comedy films ever made. It only makes sense that this gem quickly acquired a cult following.
“Get Out” (2017)
Written, directed, and co-produced by actor, comedian, and filmmaker Jordan Peele, “Get Out” was his directorial debut, and a box-office hit. Peele would go on to win the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and was also nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor (Daniel Kaluuya).
This psychological thriller is equal parts horror, social commentary, and even comedy. While the story innocently starts with a young black man (Kaluuya) meeting his white girlfriend’s family for the first time, shocking secrets soon come to light that will leave you on the edge of your seat.
Ranked by the Writer’s Guild of America as the greatest screenplay of the 21st century, the film creatively explores the implications and historical relevance of “covert” racism in modern society by depicting the antagonists as white, “New York liberal” types. Lanre Bakare wrote in The Guardian, “It exposes a liberal ignorance and hubris that has been allowed to fester.”
Ultimately, this film will have your mind whirling in circles with insane plot twists, murder, mind control, and more.
Modern horror film honorable mentions include:
- “Us” (2019)
- “The Cabin in the Woods” (2011)
- “The Ring” (2002)
- “The Silence of the Lambs” (1991)
Celebrate Halloween with North
Are you ready for Halloween? Whether you’re planning a night in or need a way to relax and recuperate after a day out celebrating, we can help!
North’s premier medical cannabis products are just what you need to get your body and mind feeling right, even when you’re watching a horror movie.
Check out our Pevely and Hillsboro menus to see what might work best for you. You can come in and purchase your products, order them and pick them up with our drive-thru, or have them delivered.
Brand Spotlights: Robust
North only works with the best cannabis companies in Missouri to ensure its customers receive the highest quality products. Each company North works with sets high standards of excellence, and Robust is no different.
Robust takes exceptionally excellent care of their patients and the planet. By keeping both healthy, they set a positive tone for the medical cannabis industry and create a path for other companies to follow in their footsteps.
Keep reading for more on Robust and what products of theirs you can find in our Pevely and Hillsboro locations.
Robust is proud to be Clean Green Certified® and the first Certified Kind™ cannabis company in Missouri. These product labels tell consumers that their cannabis is organically and sustainably grown.
Every one of their mother plants was grown from a seed and then cloned to maintain her unique genetic expression when populating their grow rooms, which encompass a 75,000 sq. ft. positive pressure greenhouse that maximizes efficiency while preventing potential cross-contamination.
Nothing goes to waste with Robust. Plant “waste” is shredded and composted back into their microbiome-rich soil with minimal tillage.
Everything is hand-watered, which allows them to keep an eye on every single plant, and while healthy soil and healthy plants don’t need much in terms of integrated pest management, Robust does keep natural remedies on hand just in case.
Finally, they hand-trim their cannabis, so you only get the best and most beautiful nuggets.
Robust is also proud to support its community by stimulating the local economy and providing life-changing medicine to its customers.
What Robust Products Can You Find at North Dispensaries?
Between our two locations, you’ll be able to purchase the following flower:
- Buddha’s Hand – a hybrid of Limoncello and White Runtz; provides head and body relaxation with a psychedelic high; relieves pain, anxiety, and arthritis, and provides relaxation
- Raspberry Parfait – a hybrid of Shiska Berry and Truffula Tree; provides relaxing and blissful feelings with cerebral euphoria; sedative; relieves chronic pain, depression, and muscle spasms, and supports mental focus
- Undertaker – a hybrid of Karmarado, Headbanger, and White Cherry Truffle; relaxing, creative, focused, and sleepy; great for nighttime use; relieves chronic pain, mood swings, PTSD, depression, insomnia, migraines, and anxiety
- Chanel No. 5 – a hybrid of Heath Robinson’s Black Rose and Mendel’s Tropic of Censer; potent head and body relaxation accompanied by a psychedelic high; relieves pain, anxiety, arthritis, and inflammation; is anti-tumor, an appetite stimulant, and provides relaxation
- Finnish Frost – a hybrid of Blue Dream and White Fire OG; heavy hitting with long-lasting cerebral stimulation; increases creativity and energy; relieves tension, stress, anxiety, mood swings, PTSD, muscle spasms, chronic fatigue, and ADHD
Check out our menus for our Pevely and Hillsboro locations. You can use the search bar at the top of the page to search for Robust items.
Head North Today!
At North, we only carry the best of the best products for our customers. That’s why we carry Robust flower. Not only are their products perfect for managing your symptoms, but they also help protect the earth and support their community while dedicating themselves to high-quality work.
Shop the best today at https://north.life/!
Brand Spotlights: Flora Farms
Flora Farms is a Missouri-owned and operated medical marijuana producer and distributor. Its mission is simple: provide access to high-quality, medical-grade marijuana. Whether you’re looking for flower, edibles, concentrates, or tinctures, they have it all. They also streamline the process of obtaining a Missouri Medical Marijuana Card. No matter where you are in your medical cannabis journey, Flora Farms will be there to help.
What Can You Find at North?
Flora Farms products available at our Pevely location include:
- Flower – Black Garlic, Blue Dream, Cantaloupe Haze, Chem OG, Fruit Fetti, Lavender Jones, Missouri Diesel, Peach Fuzz, Purple Papaya, White 99, Buoyant Bob
- Concentrate – Strawberry Float Terp Sugar
- Live Resin Vape – Mo’Dank-Root Beer Float
Flora Farms products available at our Hillsboro location include:
- Flower – Black Garlic, Blue Dream, Cantaloupe Haze, Lavender Jones, Lemon Cheese, Peach Fuzz, Pizookie, Purple Papaya, White 99
Flora Farms’ Dedication to the Consumer
According to Flora Farms, it is “producing the best quality medicine at the most affordable cost to the patient.” This promise of affordable care extends to all their cannabis-infused products. And you know you’re only purchasing the best of the best.
To eliminate variables for error, Flora Farms does everything. From growing the flower to extracting the oil, they are confident in the consistent quality of their product. They also utilize sustainable growth methods, determined to place a positive stamp on the medical cannabis industry.
Flora Farms’ Facility
Each week, dedicated employees process over 150lbs of premium Flora Farms-grown cannabis in the company’s 8,000-square-foot manufacturing facility. Flora Farms produces a whopping 5,000-6,000 grams of concentrate and 4,000-5,000 pre-rolls weekly.
Besides producing a reliable product at a great price, Flora Farms is also dedicated to reducing waste and shrinking its carbon footprint. It packages its cartridges and batteries in reusable and recyclable aluminum tins to accomplish this goal.
For more information about Flora Farms, visit their website and follow them on Facebook and Instagram!
Purchase Flora Farms’ Products at North!
At North, we carry various Flora Farms products, as we agree with its dedication to providing high-quality yet affordable products to medical cannabis users.
Check out our Pevely or Hillsboro menus today. Remember, you can order online and have your order delivered or pick it up at one of our locations.
We can help you! Stop by today so that you can have a better tomorrow.
Brand Spotlights: Honeybee
Have you ever wondered how North gets so many delicious chocolate and gumdrop cannabis-infused edibles? Well, you’ll be feeling the buzz with some Honeybee’s award-winning chocolates and real fruit gumdrops.
This St. Louis brand is lovingly named after the Missouri state insect and is intended to serve medical cannabis patients who know how to enjoy the sweetness of life. Please keep reading to learn more about Honeybee and all it offers!
Honeybee’s tasty treats are curated and produced by the Director of Culinary, Chef Dave Owens. Before working for Honeybee, Dave spent over a decade as the Chief Chocolatier and Vice President of Taste at Bissinger’s Handcrafted Chocolatier, so this man knows a thing or two about delicious candy.
According to Dave, “The opportunity for me to get to do what I love while helping those who are in need of cannabis’ benefits is really a treat.”
What makes Honeybee unique is that they source the finest European chocolates, the most flavorful natural fruit purees from around the globe (no artificial flavors), and their premium cannabis distillate.
Honeybee’s Real Fruit Gumdrops
Honeybee is proud to produce sweet and chewy gumdrops made with natural fruit from around the world. They carry several different flavors and potencies. These include:
- Grapefruit calamansi lime – 100 mg THC per package
- Passionfruit guava – 100 mg THC per package
- Black cherry cola – 100 mg THC per package
- Sour raspberry lemonade – 100 mg THC per package
- Sour watermelon passion fruit – 100 mg THC/100 mg CBD per package
- Sour cherry lime – 20 mg THC/ 200 mg CBD per package
- High-potency black cherry cola – 300 mg THC per package
- High-potency sour watermelon passion fruit – 300 mg THC/300 mg CBD per package
Each package comes with 20 gumdrops and clearly states the potency on the package of one gumdrop, making dosing simple.
For more information on ingredients and nutritional facts, click here.
Honeybee’s Artisan Chocolates
You’ll never get enough of these chef-crafted chocolate bars made with deluxe European chocolates, premium toppings, and THC. The flavors include:
- Banana + Candied Black Walnut – white chocolate; 100 mg THC per bar
- Sticky bun – milk chocolate; 100 mg THC per bar
- Salted brownie batter – dark chocolate; 100 mg THC/100 CBD per bar
- Cherry pistachio – white chocolate; 100 mg THC per bar
- Peanut + pretzel – milk chocolate; 100 mg THC per bar
- Strawberry crunch – caramelized white chocolate; 100 mg THC per bar
- Toasted coconut + sea salt – milk chocolate; 100 mg THC/100 mg CBD per bar
- High-potency peanut + pretzel – milk chocolate; 300 mg THC per bar
- High-potency strawberry crunch – caramelized white chocolate; 300 mg THC per bar
- High-potency toasted coconut + sea salt – milk chocolate; 300 mg THC/300 mg CBD per bar
Each chocolate bar is clearly labeled with potency and divided into ten even squares, making dosing easy.
For more information on ingredients and nutritional facts, click here.
The following information is what to expect per gram of THC consumed via edibles. Remember, the effects and onset of edibles may vary by user.
- 1 – 2.5 mg: this range is suitable for beginners and those seeking only mild effects. It may relieve pain, anxiety, and aid in sleeping.
- 2.5 – 10 mg: expect feelings of euphoria, laughter, and more substantial symptom relief.
- 10 – 20 mg: if you are not an experienced cannabis user who consumes it at least a few times a week, we recommend not surpassing 10 mg. Expect to feel strong euphoria and sedation.
- 20 + mg: these high dosages are best saved for patients with conditions requiring a very high dose.
There are two main types of edibles:
- Sublingual – these dissolve under your tongue. Examples include tinctures, hard candies, and mints. They will have a faster onset than orally ingested edibles, with patients often feeling the effects within 15 minutes. Once you feel the effects, they can last between two and three hours.
- Orally Ingested – these are ingested and processed by the liver. Examples include chocolate bars, gumdrops, and baked goods. Expect these to gradually take effect over 30 to 60 minutes (it can sometimes take up to two hours!), with a typical total duration between four and eight hours.
After consuming an edible, we recommend you wait at least two hours before consuming any more. Try starting at a dose of 2.5 mg or 5 mg, wait two to four hours, and gauge how you feel.
Do you have additional questions about Honeybee Products? Check out their FAQ page or contact them today!
North Dispensaries Carries Honeybee Products!
I’m sure by now, your mouth is watering, and your mind is whirling with cannabis-infused fantasies of jaw-dropping gumdrops and superb chocolates.
Make your fantasies a reality and shop at North! Check out our Pevely and Hillsboro menus to see which Honeybee products we’re currently carrying. You can stop by and shop in the dispensary, order online and pick up at our drive-thru, or order online and have your goods delivered!