Now that more states are legalizing cannabis for medical and recreational purposes, it’s time we take a hard look at why legally purchasing cannabis is better for you and those around you.
Cannabis has long been controversial, but it doesn’t have to be. Forget about the black market and illegal deals and opt for something that even the most strait-laced all of us can get on board with! Keep reading to learn the benefits of buying legal cannabis.
What Is Black-Market Cannabis?
When looking at why the United States should legalize cannabis, it’s helpful to look at a nation that already has. One of the reasons Canada legalized recreational cannabis use was to reduce black-market activity in the country.
The black market is any underground transaction where goods and services are illegally exchanged.
By legalizing cannabis, they were able to add more retail stores and increase quality control measures to ensure customer safety and satisfaction. These changes seem to be working because, as of 2020, the black-market supply dropped 21% since legalization in 2018.
Black market cannabis is typically obtained through the following channels:
- Illegal websites that are selling cannabis
- Unlicensed brick-and-mortar dispensaries
- Street dealers
The suppliers of black-market cannabis often have strong ties to gangs and organized crime. Black-market cannabis also does not pay any taxes, meaning there is no public gain from its sale.
Why Should You Promote Legal Cannabis?
There are many reasons why you should legally obtain your cannabis products. These include:
- Testing your products – there are regulations that legal cannabis providers must follow to make a profit. The legal market must test all cannabis products for molds, heavy metals, pesticides, fungus, and other microbials.
- Maintaining product consistency – The testing on the product helps maintain its consistency and supply chain transparency.
- Promoting socio-economic development – Illegal operations do not pay taxes on their profits. They do not participate in or help provide education, advocacy, social equality, living wages, or community programs.
- Breaking the stigma – Not only does buying legal help cut down on crime, but it also helps ensure safe access to cannabis and propels cannabis research. The stigma is also broken when more and more people promote and train for cannabis careers.
Along with undergoing testing for safety purposes, legal dispensaries will indicate potency and other information like cannabinoids and terpene content on the label of your products. Now, you don’t have to second guess how much THC or CBD is in your cannabis, which is critical, especially for medical cannabis patients.
Legal Cannabis’ Largest Threat
The most significant threat to the legal cannabis industry is the illegal market. California collected 55% more tax revenue from legal cannabis sales in 2021 than it did in 2020. Yet, California is struggling compared to other states primarily because the illegal market in the state is at least twice the size of the legal market.
Some think the answer to this problem is to gut regulations and cut taxes on cannabis. However, all that will do is make it harder for people to obtain safe cannabis and take away money from schools, healthcare, equity programs, environmental programs, and essential childcare.
“The answer is to enforce laws against illegal growers, dealers, and unlicensed dispensaries,” according to Timmen L. Cermak, MD. If the United States can successfully regulate the production and sale of illegal alcohol, there is no reason it cannot protect the legal cannabis industry.
North Dispensaries provide medical cannabis to the individuals of Pevely and Hillsboro, Missouri. We have dedicated ourselves to providing high-quality products to those who need them most.
The illegal cannabis market only adds to the negative stigma surrounding cannabis use and delegitimizes those who legally provide cannabis. Promote legal cannabis sellers today to ensure that cannabis continues to impact our communities positively!
Don’t have a medical cannabis card? No problem! Follow this link to learn how you can obtain one today.